Brighton Office: 01273 420606
Eastbourne Office: 01323 641141
Chichester Office: 01243 769041

We have an in-house architectural department and we offer a wide range of drawing and design work. We specialise in smaller residential extensions, refurbishment projects, conversion of commercial to residential, listed building applications and new builds up to a construction value of approximately £500,000.

We have extensive experience in submitting planning and building regulation applications on a variety of works ranging from £5,000 – £500,000 in value. Our design team have a comprehensive understanding of the local planning policies and the building regulations, which enables us to offer advice on such matters to ensure the works comply with the relevant legislation.

If you are considering any building works or refurbishment works then we would be happy to talk to you regarding your proposed works. We understand clients needs and work closely with the clients to achieve their brief and desired outcome. We can provide different levels of service, including both planning and Building Regulations submissions and, if necessary, full project management of the works.

We take a thorough approach and aim to provide a cost effective but quality service.

If you would like a quotation for any planning or architectural work, or more information on any of our services then please contact us.

What is planning permission and when is it required?

Planning permission is an application to the local authority, who act on behalf of parliament, to construct or alter the appearance of a building. For more information on works which require planning permission, please contact us to or click here for advice from the government.

An application needs to be submitted to the relevant local authority clearly setting out the existing building and the proposed works. The local authority will notify the immediate neighbours and consult with local parish councils and the environmental agency if required.

A decision should be made within 8 weeks and this is often extended to 13 weeks for larger projects. The local authority can grant approval of the application, approve with conditions or reject the application. If the application is approved, then the planning permission will last for a period of 3 years from the date the application was granted.

What is permitted development?

The General Permitted Development Order (GPDO) came into force in April 2015 and is generally referred to as permitted development. Permitted development rights only apply to householders and do not apply to commercial property, listed buildings, flats, maisonettes or other buildings.

In some situations, permitted development rights are removed and this applies to properties located in a conservation area, national park or area of outstanding national beauty. Article 4 directions also remove permitted development rights and a thorough check should be undertaken by a competent person to confirm if permitted development rights apply to your works as permitted development rights are constantly changing.

Permitted development omits the need to apply for planning permission for certain works; most commonly loft conversions and rear extensions however, the works must still comply with the planning guidance as set out by the local authority and parliament. Failure to comply could result in the local authority taking action to rectify the works.

Benefits of works under permitted development include no lengthy delays in waiting for planning approval and reduced cost as there is no need to pay a planning fee.

For more information on the work which falls under permitted development please contact us or click here to view the planning portals interactive guide on permitted development.

What is a lawful development certificate?

If it is determined that building works fall under permitted development, then a lawful development certificate can be applied for to confirm that the works are lawful under permitted development rights. This is not essential however, it is advised that a lawful development certificate is applied for as this can assist if you to sell your property.

What is listed building consent and when is it needed?

Listed buildings are buildings with special architectural and historic interest as determined by local government with the help of Historic England. There are three grades of listed buildings being; Grade I (exceptional interest), Grade II* (particularly important buildings with more than special interest) and Grade II (buildings of special interest).

Building works which alter the appearance of a listed building such as; loft conversions, extensions, alteration of balconies or railings and other such works require listed building consent prior to undertaking the works.

Undertaking unauthorised works to a listed building without listed building consent is a criminal offence and can carry a two year prison sentence. Certain works to listed buildings do not require prior approval and the advice of a competent person should be sought prior to undertaking any works to a listed building.

What are the Building Regulations, and do they apply to my work?

The building regulations are the minimum standards for all building works as developed by the UK Government and parliament. The approved documents set out the minimum standard to comply with the building regulations and can be viewed here.

‘Any building work to you property will need to comply with the building regulations and this includes renewing thermal elements. For larger works such as new buildings and conversion works, a full plans application will be required Smaller works such as the removal of a chimney breast o roofing works can be undertaken solely on the submission of a building notice. There are other ways of complying with the regulations such as a competence person scheme. An approved inspection can be used instead of the local authority Building Control department.

Stuart Radley Associates

If you would like a quotation for a survey or more information on any of our services, please use our contact form, or call us on:

Brighton Office:

01273 420606

Eastbourne Office:

01323 641141


01243 769041